- Posted by Kate Wilson
- On February 29, 2020
Is your Acer laptop headphone jack not working? If yes, then you are not the only one who is dealing with this problem. Many of our users are complaining about this particular problem when they try to connect their headphones to their Acer laptop’s headphone jack.
Sometimes, the problem occurs not because of the headphone problems but for an issue with your headphone jack. If there is dust or dirt accumulate in the headphone jack or you are using an outdated audio driver, then also your Acer headphone jack might not work properly.
So, without wasting more time, take the necessary steps and figure out the root of the causes to resolve this issue at the earliest. Here are some easy steps that you can apply to fix this issue.
Easy Solutions to Troubleshoot Acer Headphone Jack Not Working Issue:
Problems with the headphone jack in Acer laptop is a common issue that most of the users complain about. It is really annoying for those users who love listening to music. Fortunately, after doing various research, we have discovered a few solutions that might help you to solve Acer headphone jack not working problem. So, without wasting time, let’s take a look at the following methods.
Solution 1: Plug your Headphone Correctly
This problem might appear if you do not plug in the headphones properly. In such cases, check out the steps listed below-
- Identify the right jack and insert the right plug into it.
- Verify whether the sound is coming from your headphones or not. If no sound is coming from your headphones, it means there are some other problems that are causing this issue.
Solution 2: Check the Volume
Due to some reason, if you mute or decrease the volume and forget to unmute it, then you might not get any sound from your headphone. So, if your headphone is properly plugged in, then check the volume and set it correctly. To do so, follow these following steps-
- Go to the bottom-right corner of your screen and hit the Sound icon.
- Move the slider to increase the volume.
- Check whether any sound is coming or not. If you still do not get any sound, then move to the next solution.
Solution 3: Detect the Problem in the Headphone
Sometimes the issue is not related to the headphone jack but there might be some other problems that could be related to the headphones such as a broken headphone. If your headphone is broken, then your Acer laptop headphone jack not working issue might appear. You can easily follow some steps to identify the headphone problem.
- First, plug the headphones into another device and check whether you are getting any sound or not. If you still get sounds, then it means that the headphones are OK.
- You can also check by using another pair of headphones on your laptop. If it is working properly, it means the issue is in your previous headphones.
Solution 4: Upgrade your Audio Driver
If you are using an old audio driver for a long time, then this issue might generate. Sometimes updating the audio driver might fix this problem. You can update your audio driver either manually or automatically.
If you want to update the audio driver automatically, then you might have to install a driver update tool that will help you to recognize the correct drivers for your system. There is various software available online that you can easily download to update your olds, audio driver. All you have to do is to find a reliable website, from there, download and install the software. After installing the software, run it and the software will update all the outdated drivers for your system including your audio driver. Once the update is completed, restart your Acer laptop and check whether the issue gets resolved.
Solution 5: Check the Settings of your Acer Headphone Jack
Whenever you plug the headphone into your Acer laptop, your system will automatically detect the headphone as it is set as default. But sometimes your Acer headphone jack will not work due to incorrect settings. If this is the case, better you check the settings and set the headphone as default to checking if it can fix the issue.
- Go to the bottom-right corner of your laptop screen and right-click on the Sound icon.
- Choose Sounds from the menu list. A window will open up on your screen.
- From this window, navigate to the Playback tab. First, unplug the headphone and then plug it in back again into the headphone jack.
- Make sure the Headphones are checked and then click on OK.
- Verify if the Acer headphone jack not working issue is resolved or not.
Solution 6: Modify the Audio Format
Due to the incorrect audio settings also this issue might occur and once it occurs, you will not get any sound from your headphones. If this is the case, then you need to change the audio format and try to fix the issue.
- Go to the lower-right corner of your Acer laptop screen and click on the Sound icon.
- Select Sounds from the drop-down menu.
- From the pop-up window, go to the Playback tab and right-click on Headphones and then Properties.
- Go to the Advanced tab and verify one by one from the list and click on Test. See whether you are getting any sound from the selected items.
- If you are getting sound from any of the formats, then hit the Apply button and click on OK. But if none of this format works, then try out the next solution.
Solution 7: Remove Dirt from your Headphone Jack
Sometimes the dirty or clogged headphone jack is the reason behind this issue. So, clean the dirty headphone jack and try to fix this issue-
- Switch off your Acer laptop.
- Eliminate the cotton from the swab
- Put in the cotton swab inside the headphone and gently clean all the dirt. Do it carefully or else it might cause damage to your device.
- Now, see if the issue gets resolved or not.
Solution 8: Uninstall the IDT Audio Device
If you have installed an IDT audio device on your laptop, you might notice your Acer laptop headphone jack not working. To resolve this problem, go through the steps stated below.
- From your keyboard, press the Windows logo and R key at the same time.
- Into the Run box, type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter.
- Right-click on IDT and then hit the Uninstall button.
- Check whether the issue gets resolved or not.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I connect my headphones to my Acer laptop?
Yes. Listed below are the steps to do so.
- Navigate to the Control Panel.
- Choose the Sound option.
- Now, your device will give you a few options such as Speakers, Headphones.
- Plug your headphones in and then choose your headphones and set it as default.
- Every time when you plug your headphones, your Acer laptop will automatically detect them.